Post new topic   Reply to topic    Uno Mas of Emerald Dream Forum Index -> Player Vs Player
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Nipsey
Guild Master
Uno Social

re: IN PROGRESS: Nipsey's 6.1 Guide to Understanding PvP

Message from the Author,  

I want to start off this guide first and foremost by stating that this guide was created by me and me alone.  The intentions of this article is to share my PvP knowledge that I have gained over the years with our guild community, both new and caslist.  Warlords of Draenor presents a very intricate PvP meta, which I often refer to as "easy to pick up, hard to master".  The diversity of this game's PvP history sets high expectations, as WoW's community is frequently evolving.  The outcome of this is simple; those that choose to adapt stay current with the game's meta and achieve success, while those that stroke their neckbeard while reminiscing of their vanilla raid geared warrior stay at the low brackets.  As this game is very diverse in opinions, it is very important to take recommendations with a grain of salt.  

Above all else, I value the most important skillset of a PvPer to be self-learning.  If you get bested by another player, that is ok...  But it sure as hell doesn't stop there.   Learn what you could have done better and strive for improvement each game.  Observe your opponent's strengths and your own weaknesses; from there a strategy can ALWAYS be built.  Practice makes perfect! 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great Knowledge Sources 

http://www.skill-capped.com

http://www.arenajunkies.com

http://www.mmo-champion.com

I always recommend players run the least amount of interface enhancing visuals as possible, as new patches often break old addons.  Fixing these broken addons requires the developer of the addon to provide updates that are compatible with the game's changes.  Getting updates for some addons can be slow, which leaves you crippled in the meantime since most players become dependent on them.  In addition to this, E-Sport gatherings for the end of the season Blizzard hosted Arena Tournaments and other famous gatherings DO NOT allow any addon use.  In other words, if you want to go pro and be independent from developers, try to run as few addons as possible.  It goes without saying, the least dependent you are on addons, the stronger the player you will become.  

In the meantime, let's get you started with some basic addons that the majority of non-tournament players use, including myself.  These addons are really necessary in regular play, as the vast majority of players use them against you.

Reccomended addons

Battleground Targets  ----->   http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/battlegroundtargets

A simple, yet effect addon that clearly displays the friendly and enemy unit frames in a much more effective manner than the default blizzard unit frames.  99.9% of high ranked players use this addon for both rated and regular battlegrounds.  In my experience, most groups can tell if you arn't using this addon and kick players that clearly arn't using it after the first game.  This is a target caller's BEST friend.  

Healers Have to Die    ----->   http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/healers-have-to-die

Yet another simple but game changing addon.  This addon as silly as it might sound, is very helpful with your situational awareness to enemy healers.  It places a large + sign over the enemy healers, so you can understand if all your hard work is going to be dissolved with a few quick sneaky heals.  I've seen healers coming a mile away to top off the enemy I have nearly killed and CC'd them in crucial moments.  This addon literally can change games, trust me when I say give it a chance.

Gladius                       ----->   http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/gladius

This addon is used by 99.9% of high ranked players in Arenas.  Like it's relative Battleground Targets, Gladius provides the same type of clean interface layout for Arena environments.  Since BGT does not have arena support, Gladius is needed to provide similar features.  

GladiatorlosSA            ----->   http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/gladiatorlossa

This addon is the famous "ability announcer".  As you may have guessed, it calls out when the enemy uses certain abilities vocally so it saves you from interface clutter.  Very neat addon that essentially acts as an experienced mentor in fast paced fights.  Works both in world environments and in casual / rated games.  

----WORK IN PROGRESS ---

Last edited by Lord Nipsey on Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:47 pm; edited 13 times in total

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow me on Twitter for more Uno Mas feeds / Wizardry! @UM_wizardking

The fortunes of the Dream may rise and fall, but ours shall remain Eternal!

-Gnome under the Mountain
Lord Nipsey
Guild Master
Uno Social

re: CONT.

-RESERVED SPACE-

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow me on Twitter for more Uno Mas feeds / Wizardry! @UM_wizardking

The fortunes of the Dream may rise and fall, but ours shall remain Eternal!

-Gnome under the Mountain
Grëy
Officer
Uno Social

re: IN PROGRESS: Nipsey's 6.1 Guide to Understanding PvP

Rock-Paper-Scissors of Base Takeover:

Rogue > Warlock

Hunter > Mage

Mage > Rogue

That's assuming all cooldowns are up and both players have roughly the same gear. The Hunter can harass the Mage and force cooldowns without committing fully, which makes it hard to defend the base. The Rogue can all-in the Warlock, who can't defend effectively. The Mage can avoid most of the Rogue's burst, make it difficult to stay stealthed, and can save trinket for the blind.

I'm not entirely sure on where Druids, Shadow Priests and DKs factor in all this. Although those classes are generally best left in the team fight, they can guard a base or assist ninjas for a minute or two if the situation calls for it.

It's always in a team's best interest to arrange for the above matchups on maps like EotS, AB, Gilneas and Deepwind, as this forces the other team to divert manpower from the teamfight to assist in defending their bases.

Berserker is also a big factor in the success of a takeover. If the situation calls for it, a Berserker Ghost play from classes who can Stealth might turn the tide of a game.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Uno Mas of Emerald Dream Forum Index -> Player Vs Player All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: